Column: ‘San Francisco Is Not The Crime-Ridden Hellhole The Far Right Claims’
View Source | April 23, 2023 12:10 pm
Click to read full article
- The writer of the lengthy, 870-word column offers a long list of people whom she thinks have perpetuated a false narrative about San Francisco including former President Trump and billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk.
- “For years, the hard-right outrage machine has zeroed in on San Francisco as a ‘hellhole’ that epitomizes everything wrong with Democratic leadership,” the column reads. “They have been aided by a small but vocal cadre of local social media influencers who have made their brand pummeling San Francisco’s public health and public safety policies.”
- The columnist argues the Far Right’s new king “seems to be Elon Musk, who recently tweeted out that ‘violent crime in SF is horrific.’ “
- The writer seems to support a jury having acquitted illegal immigrant Jose Ines Garcia Zarate in the 2015 shooting death of resident Kathryn Steinle, saying a jury decided Zarate had found the gun under a bench and accidentally fired it and that the weapon belonged to a Bureau of Land Management ranger stolen from him a week earlier.
- However, the column acknowledges 200 people have died of fentanyl overdoses so far this year in the city, compared with 142 deaths in the same period last year, and the number of robberies remain high.
Share This Article: