Death Toll Nears 400 In Congo After Flash Flooding Sweeps Through Villages
View Source | May 8, 2023 8:35 am
Click to read full article
- The death toll from floods in eastern Congo has almost doubled, reaching close to 400 people as of Sunday, according to a local official.
- The administrator of the worst-affected area, the Kalehe territory of South Kivu province, told The Associated Press by phone that more bodies were recovered Sunday, including many found floating in Lake Kivu.
- Administrator Thomas Bakenge said the confirmed number of dead stood at 394 but it was a provisional count since the search was continuing. More than 300 victims had been buried as of Sunday, local groups said.
Share This Article: