- Nichols was dies as a result of an arrest by the department anti-crime unit known as the Scorpions.
- The review was announced Friday by Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland.
- The Justice Department’s Office of Community Oriented Policing Services will lead the independent, external review with the International Association of Police Chiefs.
- Nichols was pulled over while driving Jan. 7 and died three days later.
- Police body cam video appears to show officers beating the 29-year-old Nichols, who ran from them during the stop.
- Five officers who were at the scene of the incident have been fired and charged with second-degree murder, and the special task force to which they were assigned has been disbanded.
Continue to Article
Share This Article: