LA Bans Oil, Gas Drilling
View Source | December 2, 2022 8:58 pm
Continue to Article
- The phase-out plan will be executed over the next 20 years.
- The vote follows over a decade of complaints from city residents that pollution from wells was affecting their health.
- “Hundreds of thousands of Angelenos have had to raise their kids, go to work, prepare their meals (and) go to neighborhood parks in the shadows of oil and gas production,” said Los Angeles City Council president Paul Krekorian. “The time has come.”
- Engineers testifying of the opposition to the ban said it will result increased air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions because oil and gas operators will abandon wells.
- Though many of Los Angeles’ oilfields are now played out, LA was once a booming oil town and still has several productive ones.
Share This Article: