Student Loan Cancellation Will Cost More Than $400 Billion: CBO
The Congressional Budget Office on Monday released an official cost estimate for President Biden’s student loan cancellation, putting the cost at more than $400 billion.
View Source | September 26, 2022 7:33 pm
Click to read full article
- “As of June 30, 2022, 43 million borrowers held $1.6 trillion in federal student loans,” the nonpartisan, Capitol Hill office said. “About $430 billion of that debt will be canceled.”
- Other cost-estimating groups have projected similar estimated on the cost of Biden’s student loan cancellation order.
- Supporters of the plan say it will bring much-need relief to those mired in student loan debt.
- Fiscal conservatives continue to criticize Biden’s decision.
- “CBO’s new estimate confirms the outrageous cost of the White House plan to cancel large amounts of student debt, by executive order, to nearly all borrowers almost regardless of need,” said Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget “ The Biden administration’s failure to release their own cost estimate should have been a red flag.”
Share This Article: