- New York Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibran who is preparing for her second reelection bid, could face a number of primary challengers, according to reports.
- Gillibrand launched her reelection bid last week, seeking a third term to the office she has held since 2009, when she was appointed by then-Gov. David Paterson (D-NY).
- However, some of Gillibrand’s more liberal colleagues in Congress may be mulling a primary challenge, campaign insiders told the New York Post.
- One potential challenger to Gillibrand is progressive firebrand Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has positioned herself as one of the most well-known members of her party. It’s not clear whether Ocasio-Cortez is considering a Senate run, but some political strategists say she’d have a fair shot.
- “She could do it. Oh, my God, could she do it,” Ryan Adams, a Democratic consultant, told the New York Post.
Share This Article: