‘Serial’ Killer’s Conviction Vacated, Syed Ordered Released
View Source | September 19, 2022 5:11 pm
Continue to Article
- Circuit Court Judge Melissa Phinn, at the behest of prosecutors who had uncovered new evidence, ordered that Syed’s conviction be vacated and approved the release of the now-41-year-old who has spent more than two decades behind bars.
- Phinn ruled that the state violated its legal obligation to share evidence that could have bolstered Syed’s defense.
- Syed is to be placed on home detention with GPS location monitoring.
- Judge also said the state must decide whether to seek a new trial date or dismiss the case within 30 days.
- Syed has always maintained his innocence.
- Prosecutors said they weren’t asserting Syed’s innocent but they lacked confidence “in the integrity of the conviction.”
Share This Article: