Biden To Selma, Unlikely Hill Democrats Will Try Again To Pass Voting Reform
View Source | March 5, 2023 11:42 am
Continue to Article
- Biden is expected to join thousands for the annual commemoration.
- The president is also expect to use the official visit to to speak directly to the newest generation of civil rights activists, including some who are perhaps disappointed Biden didn’t make good on a campaign pledge to bolster voting rights.
- In 2021, Biden unveiled his legislation – the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act – which included provisions to restrict partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts, strike down hurdles to voting and bring transparency to the country’s campaign finance system.
- The measure passed the then-Democratic-controlled House but failed to get the required 60 votes in the Senate.
- Passage of such legislation is now highly unlikely with Republicans now in control of the House.
Share This Article: